Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 2012 -- Day Fifteen

Mollie had a good time getting dirty from head to toe today.

She was happy to roll in the dirt and wear half of it in her coat and in her mouth.

And, of course, a little tug with Rhett.

It was one of those times where we thought it was the appropriate amount of exercise but it, instead, got her a little wound up.

We headed out for our usual loose leash drills. She started out great, sitting and waiting at the gate before we headed out.

But she struggled more than normal on our drills. Normally she walks right with me but she was definitely not keyed into me tonight. I waited her out when she got a head of me. She's not pulling as much but I still want her to know that she needs to walk beside. me.

It took her a little while but she finally figured out we weren't going to move forward until she returned to me. And what a good girl...she not only returned to me but she came and sat perfectly by my side.

We went back to some basics to help her out. While walking past some distractions, we just used a lure. We don't have to do this often as she figures out really quickly that it pays off to walk next to me instead of going to see the distraction. This is a nice technique to use if walking past something really distracting like a new dog that she doesn't know or a crowd of people.

We also practiced some of her off leash drills which she did very well at. She gave me a look like, "I already know this." Of course she does, but it's not uncommon for dogs to have "off" days and reviewing known skills just helps us all stay sharp.

That's what you get when you wear a girl out.

No comments:

Post a Comment