Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 2012 -- Day Eleven

We ventured out to the store again today. Many changes from our first visit this week.

When we first started walking down the sidewalk, she got ahead of me once. This is just like our "walking toward a goal" exercise we did yesterday. Her reward for walking nicely is that we move forward. So what do I do when she gets ahead of me? I immediately stop moving forward.

She knows this routine well now so it doesn't take long for her to look back at me to figure out how to get us to move forward.

Without saying anything to her, she comes back to me right away and we start walking forward. Much different than the first time we did this. We were able to walk into the store right away because she was walking so nicely with me. I think last time it look us almost 10 minutes to make it 1/2 a block.

She's been a little nervous when she sees strangers (sometimes barking). Today she was nervous because the employees were on the floor doing inventory. We let Mollie approach on her own terms at her own speed.

A less intimidating way to stand is having your side pointed toward the dog. Facing a dog is a little forward and confrontational in the dog world.

It doesn't take long for her to warm up when the woman changed her position.

There's the social girl we know and love. Her greetings are improving so much! Only rarely does she jump on anyone now.

All in all Mollie was much more focused on this visit.

And much more relaxed. She was very easy to manage even with strange dogs coming in and out of the store.

The walk back to the car was a breeze. We didn't have to stop or turn around once. She walked beautifully right next to me. What a good girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment