Saturday, August 4, 2012

August 2012 -- Day Twenty One

It was a very hot day today so we tried to get a lot of our things done early before the heat got to us.

We had a big outing today. We walked in a neighborhood parade. I used a Gentle Leader because I knew it would be a situation with high distractions. I know going into this that her leash skills will be more challenging in this environment so it's nice to have extra help like from something like a head halter.

The parade was full of kids on bikes in costumes, dogs, and a lot of people. It was pretty crowded...not our usual training grounds.

Luckily we had time to adjust to the distractions prior to the parade starting. I can warm up with her at a distance where she can handle the distraction level and slowly work towards a higher level. If I need to, I can step off to the side with her and just work on attention. Needless to say, I had some pretty high value treats on me.

It was a excellent place to practice our greetings. Everyone was very drawn to her, commenting on her beauty and her good manners.

Her leash skills were not always perfect but I didn't expect them to be. It's really hard with so many things going on around her. But all in all, she did really, really well. She was very responsive and listened to my requests.

By the end, she was very easy to manage on leash and quite relaxed even with all the chaos going on around her.

She got a special treat at the pet supply store. They were handing out ice cream for dogs. She turned her nose up at it at first but then, after one little lick, she decided sweet potato ice cream was right up her alley.

She was happy about our little adventure but I think maybe even more happy to be back at the house with the AC. We were all pretty tired by the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment