Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 9 -- Out and About


Mollie got some good socialization in today. We went to the local pet supply store to look for a lunge whip toy for her to try out. Going out in public is a whole different ball game for dogs. Mollie does great with paying attention to me in a familiar environment but it's much more difficult to do that in a new situation with new people. I came prepared with string cheese. At home I can use more low value treats but out in public I'm going to break out the good, smelly stuff. I also started working on her attention before we ever got into the building. Basically I was priming her. When we got inside, I stayed as far away from the distractions as I could so I could still maintain her eye contact. When I had to go towards the distraction to do out shopping, I just picked her up. I don't want her to practice pulling on the leash (something that is very rewarding for dogs) and luckily she's still tiny and easy to carry.

Mollie is a pretty social girl but we still want her experiences meeting new people to very positive. The employees at this store are well versed in this and come prepared with tasty treats.

Mollie responding to her name by looking at me. This is a good indication that she is managing this level of distraction well.

Even just short little outings like this will wear a girl out. Sinbad was kind enough to share his bed with her...

Well, for a minute anyway.

When puppies sleep, it's a good time to get caught up on things around the house. When they are this age, they need to be watched all the time or confined in their crate or a small room. Puppies will definitely keep you on your toes and now it's time for me to put my feet up...

No comments:

Post a Comment